173 – Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa

About this Visa


The Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (173) let parents live in Australia for up to 2 years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settle in Australia. This visa is temporary and cannot be extended or renewed. After arriving in Australia, you have 2 years to apply for a Contributory Parent Visa (143). In this way, you can spread the costs of the Contributory Parent migration over a number of years.


173 Visa Requirements


Have a child who is:

  • An Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Lawfully resident in Australia for at least 2 years
  • Have a sponsor
  • Meet the balance of family test
  • Meet health and character requirements


How to apply


  • Applicant complete Form 47PA, application for a parent to migrate to Australia
  • Sponsor complete Form40, sponsorship for migration to Australia
  • For each dependent relative aged 18 years and older, must also complete Form 47A, detailed of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over
  • Formed must be completed in English and provide relevant documents
  • Lodge visa application

173 Visa Holder Obligations


You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian Laws


Sponsor Obligations


  • You must give a written undertaking to provide support for your parent for the first 2 years of their stay in Australia


During this period, you must provide:

  • Support
  • Accommodation
  • Financial assistance