309/100 – Partner Visa

About this Visa


309/100 is an offshore Partner Visa. It allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia. The Partner (Provisional) visa (309) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner Visa (100). Applicant must be outside Australia when they apply and also when the Partner (Provisional) Visa (309) is granted. You can be in or outside Australia when Partner Visa (100) is granted. Your application is processed in two stages, about 2 years apart.


309/100 Visa Requirements


  1. You must be married or in a de facto relationship with:
  • An Australian citizen
  • An Australian permanent resident
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen
  1. You must be in a genuine and ongoing relationship. You must live with your partner
  2. Your de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply


How to apply


  1. Applicant complete Form 47SP, application for migration to Australia by a partner
  2. Sponsor complete Form 40SP, sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia
  3. Lodge your application at one of the immigration offices outside Australia, which will tell you how you can pay


Permanent Partner Visa


  • About 2 years after you lodged your application, you will be assessed for a permanent partner visa (100)
  • About 3 months before you assessed, a letter will be send to you

309/100 Visa Holder Obligations


You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian Laws


Enter Australia:

Applicants will be notified the date you must enter Australia. If you do not enter Australia by this date, your visa could be cancelled