500 – Student Visa

About this Visa


The Student Visa (500) allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution. This allows eligible family members to accompany you to Australia. You and your family members can generally work a specified number of hours. Applicants can generally stay in Australia until their course is finished. Students can apply for this visa to study at primary or secondary school in Australia, regardless of their country of citizenship.


500 Visa Requirements


  • Before you apply for this visa, you must have:
    • Been accepted to study full-time in a registered course at an educational institution in Australia
    • Organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age
  • Meet the health and character requirements


500 Visa Enrolments


  • Applicants must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students
  • If applying from outside Australia, must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application.
    • A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted
  • If you are in Australia, you can apply with a letter of offer or a CoE but you must obtain a CoE to be granted the visa


You do not need to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if you are:

  • Sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – provide a letter of support
  • Sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence – provide a letter of support
  • A secondary exchange student – provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form
  • A postgraduate research student required to remain in Australia for marking of your thesis – provide a letter from your education provider


Education provider approving welfare arrangements – under 18 years of age


  • They will be accompanied by a parent or legal custodian, a suitable relative or that the student’s education provider approves the arrangements for the student’s accommodation, support and general welfare
  • Education providers who approve welfare arrangements for students who are under 18 years of age will be able to nominate the period for which they will approve those arrangements


English language requirements


You might need to provide evidence of your English Language Skills with your visa application. The acceptable English Language test scores are:


English Language Test Providers Minimum test score Minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS Minimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS
International English Language Testing System 5.5 5 4.5
*Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) paper based 527 500 450
TOEFL internet based test 46 35 32
Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) 146 154 147
Pearson Test of English Academic 42 36 30
Occupational English Test Pass** N/A N/A


*The TOEFL paper based test will only be accepted from limited countries

**The Occupational English Test includes a mark between A and E. An A or B is considered a pass


The test must have been taken no more than 2 years before you apply for your student visa




Evidence of financial capacity


You will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and schooling costs
  • Meet the annual income requirement
  • An AASES form (secondary exchange students only)
  • A letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence


Annual Income Option

  • Student to provide evidence of personal annual income of at least AUD60,000
  • Students accompanied by family members, at least AUD70,000


Living Costs, 12 month living cost is

  • Student or guardian – AUD19,830
  • Partner or spouse – AUD6,940
  • Child – AUD2,970


Schooling Costs

  • At least AUD8,000 per year for each child


School students


Students must be the right age for their school course

  • At least 6 years of age at time of application
  • Younger than 17 years of age when starting year 9
  • Younger than 18 years of age when starting year 10
  • Younger than 19 years of age when starting year 11
  • Younger than 20 years of age when starting year 12